Monday, September 22, 2008

The Yearly Goals

This is the latest addition to my planning system, yet paradoxically it has become the underpinning for my entire system.

For the past four years, I take a break from the holiday excitement and spend an evening building my goals for the upcoming year. I usually have a nice dinner and then sit with a notebook and just noodle on what I'd like to accomplish, things I didn't get to in the current year, projects that are half finished. Then I write up a list of goals, along with the steps I need to accomplish the goals. I find goals so much less intimidating if they are broken up into bite sized bits.

Then I make a copy of my goals and their steps and keep in in a pocket that gets tucked into the current month of my calendar. I found that made a huge difference in achieving my goals. Previously I had kept my goals on a file in my computer and often forgot about them. Keeping them close by makes it easier for me to work on my goals as I plan my week.

This isn't entirely foolproof. This year, I realized in June that I simply didn't have any enthusiasm about my goals for the year and I had made very little progress on achieving them. I spent an evening thinking about what did interest me and wrote up a new list incorporating the few goals I was really excited about and adding a few more that had popped up on my radar. Since then, I've made alot more progress in achieving my goals for 2008.

So I learned an important lesson: Planning is important, but then again, so is enthusiasm!

Comments:
Chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo each day!

It helps you focus on what's important in your life and how to overcome whatever obstacles are in your way.

No joke. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?