Friday, September 12, 2008

The Life Project

In 1999, I was at my wits' end with my life. I had a job that I loved, but it was so overwhelming that I felt my only option was to leave. I had no clue what my next step in life would be and I felt like I was wasting my time and energy.

One night, I just started writing. I wrote about how I felt about my job and my life, what I loved, what was lacking. I did a time line of my life and its important events. I drew a map of all the elements of my life and what needed improvement.

It seemed simple at the time, but it changed my life. I realized that I didn't want to leave my job, I just wanted it to be reasonable. I got in touch with my yearning to have a house of my own and started working toward making that yearning a reality. I started dating again and soon met a terrific guy I spent the next six years with.

I now have a binder on my "life" bookshelf that is labelled "The Life Project". Whenever I feel stuck, overwhelmed, or simply in need of a change, I get some paper and start writing. I review earlier entries in my Life Project. Then I start working on ways to achieve the goals the Life Project inspires.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?